Gratins are great comfort foods. They combine delicious ingredients mixed with hearty cheeses and baked to perfection. This recipe for Rice and Vegetable Gratin is the perfect side dish for any hearty meat dish, or serve as a main vegetarian dish. Either way, you will love the flavors and textures in this decadent and creamy dish. Make sure to add enough cheese on top to melt and turn golden brown under the broiler. The presentation is worth the work.
- 150 grams rice
- 1 onion
- 2 zucchinis (depending on size)
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1 tablespoon Asian spice mix
- 5 tablespoons tomato puree
- grated cheese
- Cook the rice in salted boiling water.
- Chop the onion, slice the zucchini, and cut the red and yellow peppers into strips.
- Heat a pan; add the onion and cook until golden. Then add the zucchini and peppers. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add the Asian spice mix. Stir in the tomato puree until well combined. Drain the rice and mix it with the other ingredients in the pan.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Spoon the rice and vegetables into mini-casseroles and top with some grated cheese.
- Place under your oven's broiler until the cheese is melted and golden brown.