An easy side salad for the summer. Serve with Cuban Pork Tenderloin.
- 1 cup rice (long-grain)
- 1/2 zest (orange, grated)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 scallions (white and green parts, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- To make salad, bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add rice and cook (like pasta) until tender, about 16 minutes. Drain in wire sieve, rinse under cold water, and let cool.
- In medium bowl, whisk orange zest and orange juice, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in oil. Add cooled rice, black beans, scallions and cilantro, and mix. Let stand at room temperature for up to 4 hours. (If refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving, or rice will be hard.)