Here's a wonderful change of pace from plain cooked rice as a side dish: Instead of just boiling rice with water, you start by preparing a flavor base with sauteed garlic and bacon and also shredded cabbage, which is cooked until tender, and then finally the water is added and once it's at a rolling boil, the rice is finaly added and cooked until tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- 1/3 slice bacon (cut into cubes)
- 1/4 cabbage (Lombard, thinly sliced)
- rice (Grain, depending on number of people)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- olive oil (to taste)
- In a pan, place the olive oil, garlic and bacon.
- Cook until golden brown. Add the cabbage and stir.
- When the cabbage is tender, add the rice and water (2 parts water to 1 part rice).
- Bring water to a boil and add the rice. Season with salt. Cook for 13-15 minutes.
- Serve with grilled chops.