Rice Pudding with Cinnamon MeringueO Meu Tempero
The more you research recipes for rice pudding, the more varieties you are likely to find. Take this recipe, for instance, which has you boiling the rice with milk, sugar, and vanilla extract in a covered saucepan until the liquid is absorbed, adding more liquid as needed to keep the rice moist during cooking. But what really sets this rice pudding apart is the cinnamon-spiced meringue that's poured over the cooked rice pudding before baking.
- 1 liter skim milk
- 100 grams sugar (yellow)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams rice
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1In a saucepan, add the milk, sugar, and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is well dissolved.
- 2Add the rice - previously rinsed and drained- and cook on medium heat with the lid on.
- 3Stir occasionally so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.
- 4The rice will be cooked after about 40 minutes.
- 5The lid helps to create liquid, but if it's necessary, add more warm milk slowly.
- 6Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 7Once cooked, pour into a glass baking dish, and cool slightly.
- 8In a bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- 9Add the sugar and cinnamon gradually, beating constantly, but carefully so a skin doesn't form.
- 10Pour carefully into the cooled rice pudding and put in the oven for a few minutes until brown.