Your basic Carolina brand short-grain white rice is what is used to make this delectable rice pudding, along with lemon peels and ground cinnamon for the flavorings. The lemon peels are actualy boiled along with the rice to infuse it with subtle tartness, and then the rice is cooked in milk for a creamy consistency. It's a good technique to adopt when making other rice puddings, using other citrus peels (orange or lime) and garnishing with items such as shredded coconut, rum-soaked raisins, or simply grated lemon zest.
- 1.5 liters milk (150 ml. water)
- 3 lemon (peels)
- 250 grams carolina rice
- 200 grams sugar
- cinnamon (to taste)
- In a pan, warm the milk. In another pan, add the water, salt, and lemon peels and bring to a boil. Let boil about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the water and stir well until the rice absorbs almost all the water.
- When the milk is almost boiling, add the rice.
- Keep stirring occasionally, over low heat until the rice is well done for about 30-40 minutes.
- At that time, remove the lemon peels, and add the sugar.
- Mix and let boil about 5 more minutes.
- Serve warm in bowls, and sprinkle with cinnamon.