This is among the most basic of batters but it still manages to yield a flavorful cake, proving that sometimes less is best (as in less fuss and less ingredients). Just butter, eggs, sugar, grated lemon zest, milk, salt, flour, and baking powder are needed for the batter, which comes together quickly with an electric mixer. Be generous when sprinkling the cake with sugar before putting in the oven to bake, for a crunchy topping.
- 75 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 250 grams sugar
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 150 milliliters milk
- 350 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- sugar (for dusting)
- Grease loaf pan with butter and dust with flour.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs and sugar and mix in butter, lemon zest, milk and a pinch of salt.
- Mix flour and baking powder into egg mixture.
- Place batter in pan, sprinkle generously with sugar and bake in preheated oven.