Anyone who is a fan of strawberry rhubarb pie, you just simply have to try these Rhubarb and Cashew Palmiers. A rich homemade strawberry rhubarb is spread along with homemade cashew butter onto a sheet of puff pastry before being rolled and sliced in the typical palmier fashion. The preparation may get a bit sticky, but the end result is simply divine--nutty, fruity, and just the right combination of textures. Make your own puff pastry or purchase pre-made puff pastry dough.
- '+10 servings
- 100 grams rhubarb
- 100 grams strawberries
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 40 grams cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter (liquid)
- 1 puff pastry
- 1 egg (whisked)
- vanilla sugar (powdered)
- In a small saucepan, heat the rhubarb, strawberries, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and 2 tablespoons of water (if you are using fresh fruit). Frozen fruit doesn't need the extra water.
- Stir constantly, until the water evaporates and the sugar melts, creating a creamy jam as pictured. Turn off the heat, and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- While the jam cools, chop the cashews in a grinder or blender.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar, and the liquid butter. Grind some more, or stir it very well, until you get a kind of wet sand.
- Spread this paste on the puff pastry, and spread on a layer of rhubarb and strawberry fast jam.
- Roll the two ends of the dough to form two straws that will join in the center of the dough. Cut in 2 centimeter slices, and brush the pieces with a beaten egg on top.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, with 3 fingers distance between each one.
- Bake for 14 to 20 minutes, or until well browned.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve with leftover jam.
PER SERVING *
|Calories210Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.