- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 vanilla pod (halved lengthways, seeds scraped out with the back of a knife)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 3/4 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces redcurrant jelly
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (whipped)
- cocoa powder (for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a 12-hole cupcake pan with paper cases. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. In a separate bowl, mix the vanilla seeds, oil, egg, 4 oz of sugar and 1 cup of milk. Add to the flour mixture and beat with the whisk of a mixer until smooth. Spoon into the cases and bake for 20 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Press a 1 3/4 inch diameter pastry cutter into the top of each cupcake to about 1 inch deep. Using a fork, remove the cake from the center. Spoon the jelly into the holes.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch, the remaining sugar, and 1/4 cup of milk and the vanilla until smooth. In a saucepan, bring the remaining milk to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil again and simmer over a low heat for 1 min. Spoon on top of the jelly, so the custard is level with the tops of the cakes. Cover with aluminum foil, allow to cool, then chill for 20 mins.
- Spread over the whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder.
PER SERVING *
|Calories340Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.