- 2 pounds pork shoulder (cut into 6 chunks)
- 1/2 pound bacon (cut crosswise into thin strips)
- 2 onions (large, halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 carrot (cut into chunks)
- 1 stalk celery (cut into chunks)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno chile (halved and seeded)
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups red wine
- 1/2 Orange
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth (OR stock)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 16 corn tortillas (7 to 8 - inch, warmed)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 4 cups slaw (Fennel)
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat, cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until nearly crisp, 10-12 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. Add onions to bacon fat and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- While onions are cooking, in the bowl of a food processor, combine carrot, celery, garlic, and jalapeno and pulse to finely chop. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Use paper towels to pat pork dry. Season on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to the Dutch oven and warm over medium-high heat. Working 3 pieces at a time, add pork and cook until browned on all sides, 5-7 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add carrot mixture to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in onions and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Stir in wine, bring to a boil, and cook until reduced by half, about 8 minutes.
- Add pork and bacon to the Dutch oven. Squeeze in juice from orange, then add orange (peel and all). Stir in oregano, bay leaves, and enough beef stock so that liquid is even with pork (it shouldn’t cover pork). Cover, place in the oven, and braise until meat is fork-tender, about 3 hours.
- Use tongs to transfer pork to a large bowl. Use two forks to shred pork into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, remove the bay leaf and orange rind from the sauce. Pour sauce through a strainer, reserving both the liquid and the retained vegetables and bacon pieces. Mix the contents of the strainer with the shredded meat. Return the Dutch oven with the strained sauce to the stovetop over high heat. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange 2 tortillas on each serving plate. Fill tortillas with pork, dividing it evenly. Top with cheese and Fennel Slaw. Drizzle with sauce. (Alternately, arrange pork, cheese, pan sauce, and *Fennel Slaw on a platter and let guests make their own tacos.)
- Serve 6 to 8.