- 4 pounds beef cheeks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped coarsely)
- 2 carrot (peeled and chopped coarsely)
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 28 ounces tomatoes (whole)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 fennel bulb (about 1 lb, trimmed, cut into thin wedges)
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 bunch green onions (halved)
- 2 cups chestnut mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cups polenta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (finely)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Trim the beef. Heat half the oil in large flameproof casserole dish and cook the beef in batches, until browned all over. Remove from the dish.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same dish and cook the onion and carrot, stirring, until the onion softens. Add the wine, vinegar, undrained tomatoes, brown sugar, fennel, peppercorns, rosemary and oregano, then return the beef to the dish and bring to a boil. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Stir in the green onions and mushrooms and cook for another 45 mins or until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, make the cheesy polenta. Bring the water and milk to a boil in a large saucepan. Gradually add the polenta, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring, for about 10 mins or until the polenta thickens. Stir in the cheese and butter.
- Serve the beef with the cheesy polenta and, if you like, sprinkle with extra rosemary leaves.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1040Calories from Fat560|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat560|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.