You have been invited to a party or potluck and you want to provide the perfect palate pleasing appetizer. This recipe for Red Velvet Whoopie Pies combines the rich and delicious flavors that will melt in your mouth. These savory cakes are packed with flavor and make the perfect party appetizer. Be sure to pick these ingredients up the next time you go shopping so you can surprise your friends with your culinary skills.
- 400 grams flour
- 25 grams cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 150 grams butter
- 110 grams buttermilk
- 200 grams brown sugar (or white sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- red food coloring
- 150 grams butter
- 150 grams cream cheese
- 150 grams powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until mixture is creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring each one well before adding the next.
- Add vanilla extract and food dye.
- Beat until mixture is smooth.
- Alternately stir in buttermilk and flour mixture, stirring well after each addition, so that flour mixture is added last.
- On parchment paper, draw circles in the desired size for whoopee pies.
- Leave space about 3 cm (approximately 11/4 inches) between each circle.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe dough onto each circle.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on a rack.
- For the filling, mix butter until it is cream and stir constantly, while gradually adding powdered sugar.
- Beat for a few minutes until mixture is fluffy.
- Add cream cheese and mix slowly at the lowest speed until well-blended.
- Add marshmallow cream and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Place filling in a pastry bag. Pipe filling onto cookie and top with a second cookie.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve