- 9 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- icing (Mascarpone)
- 10 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 10 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces shredded coconut (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 2 deep 8-inch diameter cake pans and line bases and sides with parchment paper.
- For the batter, beat butter, vanilla, sugar and eggs in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in sifted flours, cocoa and the combined buttermilk and food coloring, in 2 batches. Combine vinegar and baking soda in a cup and let fizz, then fold into batter. Divide between pans. Bake 25 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap cakes in cling wrap and freeze 40 mins.
- Meanwhile, for the mascarpone icing, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. On medium speed, beat in mascarpone until just combined, then beat in cream until icing is smooth and spreadable.
- Cut cakes in half horizontally by inserting a knife into the centre and rotating cakes around it. Place one layer on cake plate, cut-side up, and spread with icing. Repeat layering. Spread top and sides of cake with remaining icing. Press coconut into sides of cake, to serve.
|Calories600Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Maria L. 31 Dec 2016
Excellent It was relatively easy to make. The recipe was good to follow. The cake looked great and tasted fantastic. We topped it with strawberries coated in chocolate and berries. What a wonderful recipe.