- 2 1/2 cups Swans Down Cake Flour (sifted)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups confectioners sugar
- white chocolate curls (Garnish:)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Beat in oil, buttermilk, and eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar. Pour 3⁄4 cup of cake batter into each cake pan, turning to distribute batter evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes. Let cool in pans 5 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting evenly between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with white chocolate curls, if desired.
Lynn Hartzfeld 5 Jul
I never made a cake from scratch till this recipe. My son requested this for his birthday. Its easy and wow was it amazing!!!!!!!
Yasmine G. 16 Jun
moist and delicious.. will definitely be making it again
Thecrimsonpeacock Cardenas 23 Apr
great taste. moist batter.
Jacqueline B. 11 Apr
Awesome Awesome Awesome, most of the times when asked to use a mixer and you don't have one, when mixed by hand it does not come out good, I use a whisk and it came out great fluffy raise beautifully, thanks will surely try more of your recipes.
Dalilah 16 Mar
Love it simple recipe
Mallory M. 22 Feb
It was seriously under baked no matter how long I left it in the oven, it wouldn’t bake through
DeBe 29 Dec 2017
This is a tender, moist cake. A great, easy recipe.
Maria Adkins 24 Dec 2017
Made it for my husband’s birthday, and we both loved it.
Quanda 24 Dec 2017
Absolutely amazing!!! The cake was gone within 15 minutes after the first slice. This was very easy to follow.
Kay W. 19 Nov 2017
great recipe!! Thanks
April B. 25 Oct 2017
This did not rise the way I had hoped. My oven was preheated and calibrated, but it just fell. It was really disappointing.
Martinezcuello 21 May 2017
This cake is amazing so moist and delicious. Defiantly recommend giving this recipe a try. I used regular flour instead of cake flour and it still tasted amazing.
Jaclyn 17 Apr 2017
According to my sister this cake tastes like a piece of heaven and my husband said it was the best red velvet cake he has ever had. Let me start by saying that I found this recipe on Pinterest and it seemed like the easiest one from the ones they had. I was very nervous because I had never baked a cake from scratch. For it being my first cake it turned out great. The only complaint my husband had was that he wishes I would have put more frosting between the layers. I am definitely making this again.
Candace T. 31 Dec 2016
This cake was very moist and tasted amazing! Everyone loved it. I will definitely make it again. I made it exactly as is and I used the gel food coloring.
Melisa R. 24 Nov 2016
This cake it's so good!!! My father in law favorite cake its red velvet and I made it for his birthday it was a home run!
Nathalie Cote 4 Sep 2016
You make my day! Absolutely good cake! I will do it again, my husband request it every week! Lol great cake
Dustin G. 7 Aug 2016
Pretty good... Want to perfect it and make it again. Not quite dense enough, and slightly crumbly. Want to tighten up the frosting a bit, too.
Erma B. 10 Feb 2016
This is the recipe I have made for years just couldn't find it until I looked over your recipes. This is the greatest Red Velvet Cake every thank you