- 2 1/2 cups Swans Down Cake Flour (sifted)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups confectioners sugar
- white chocolate curls (Garnish:)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Beat in oil, buttermilk, and eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar. Pour 3⁄4 cup of cake batter into each cake pan, turning to distribute batter evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes. Let cool in pans 5 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting evenly between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with white chocolate curls, if desired.