Red Velvet CakeMarmita
The perennial favorite layer cake is always a popular choice for a birthday party. This version gets its vibrant color from pomegranate juice in addition to food coloring, the juice also adding a subtle hint of tartness. And there's really no better choice than cream cheese frosting for the stark red and white contrasting color, and there's simply no reason to use anything but Philadelphia brand cream cheese (the bar variety, not from a tub) for the best tasting, fluffiest result.
- 270 grams brown sugar
- 140 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 pomegranate (juice)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 240 milliliters milk
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- 300 grams wheat flour (unleavened)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 115 grams butter
- 230 grams Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 230 grams powdered sugar
- 1/2 pomegranate
- 1Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- 2Mix the sugar with the butter until it reaches a creamy consistency, add 1 egg at a time and blend.
- 3Squeeze the juice of 1 pomegranate and add it to the mixture, then add the vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, milk, and the red food coloring.
- 4Add the sifted flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and cocoa. Mix well.
- 5Pour the batter in a round cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- 6Remove the cake from the oven, and let it cool.
- 7For the icing: Combine the cream cheese and butter in a blender. Mix on a low speed and gradually add the sugar while mixing.
- 8Cut the cake into two halves horizontally.
- 9Spread the icing on top of the bottom half.
- 10Place the top half on top and cover the whole cake with the remaining icing.
- 11Serve garnished with half of the pomegranate seeds.