When fresh plums are at their flavorful best, they simply can't be beat, and that' when you'll want to capture their essence in a jam so that you can enjoy it throughout the year, when the last of the summer fruit has long disappeared from the farmstands and greenmarkets. Cloves, cinnamon, and freshly ground black pepper lend the jam spice notes and a subtle kick of heat (from the pepper).
- 2 cups plums (peeled, pitted and sliced)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 clove
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 3 peppercorns (freshly ground)
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- In a large saucepan, place all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower temperature and simmer for about 45 minutes to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and puree with a hand blender.
- Over medium heat, bring the jam to a boil again until reaching setting point or 220°F.
- Remove from the heat and store in sterilized jars.