Red Pepper FlatbreadEl invitado de invierno
This Red Pepper Flatbread requires a little forethought as you need to mix a bit of flour, water and yeast to ferment overnight before making the rest of the dough. Made with orange juice as the liquid element, the flatbread has a slightly sweet citrus flavor. Covered with roasted red peppers, the flatbread is baked for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Serve this tasty flatbread with a side salad to make a yummy lunch, or cut into small squares and serve as an appetizer.
- 500 grams pastry flour
- 60 grams water
- 5 grams yeast
- 5 red bell pepper (large)
- 90 grams orange juice
- 1 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams pork lard
- 120 grams extra-virgin olive oil
- vegetable oil
- 1The night before, mix 100 grams of flour with water and yeast together. Refrigerate overnight to ferment.
- 2The next day, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 3Place the bell peppers whole on a baking tray and roast 30 to 45 minutes until the skin is blistered.
- 4Remove to a covered container to sweat.
- 5Once cool, remove the skins and set the peppers in a colander to drain off any excess juice.
- 6Remove the fermented mixture from the refrigerator and add the remaining flour with the orange juice, egg, and salt. Knead by hand or in a stand mixer. When the dough becomes hard, knead in the lard and olive oil little by little until absorbed.
- 7Form the dough into a ball, set into a large bowl, and let rise.
- 8Once the dough has doubled in volume, turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll it out into a rectangle shape about the size of your baking tray.
- 9Preheat the oven to 240 degrees Celsius.
- 10Lightly grease a baking sheet and place the dough inside. Use your fingers to stretch it out to all sides and make a border on all the edges.
- 11Lay the red peppers flat on the middle of the flatbread not overlapping them. Generously salt the top.
- 12Bake the flatbread 20 minutes. Remove and baste the peppers with olive oil.
PER SERVING *
|Calories320Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.