Cooking red mullet with these flavourings – cayenne pepper, saffron, cumin and, let’s not forget, Knorr Chicken Touch of Taste – is a very nice way to prepare it. Moroccan spices add depth to this dish and red mullet is a fish which can carry these punchy flavours.
- First marinate the red mullet fillets. Place them in a shallow dish and add 2tsps of olive oil, then sprinkle with saffron strands and cayenne pepper, and rub evenly over the fish. Sprinkle over the thyme sprigs and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat a frying pan. Add in the olive oil, then the shallot, garlic and ground cumin. Fry, stirring until softened but without allowing the shallot and garlic to brown.
- Add the orange juice and bring to the boil, reducing by around half. You can use fresh or carton orange juice, whichever you prefer. Then add the tomato juice and cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Add in the marinated red mullet fillets, carefully placing them in the sauce and reducing the heat to a simmer so that they gently poach. Season with the Knorr Chicken Touch of Taste. The flavour works very well with red mullet.
- Simmer until the red mullet is cooked, around 3–5 minutes. There you have it. A simple, delicious meal, cooked in a matter of minutes.