A colorful and easy dish using economical pork shoulder. Serve with rice. . .And chopsticks, if desired.
- 2 pounds boneless blade pork roast (cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root (minced)
- 2/3 cup stir fry sauce (Kikkoman)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (crushed)
- 3 carrots (cut into 1-inch lengths)
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 bunch green onions (cut into 1-inch lengths, separate whites from tops)
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- cooked rice
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add pork and ginger; brown pork on all sides. Drain off fat. Add stir-fry sauce, sherry, fennel and 3/4 cup water to pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Add carrots; simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Add mushrooms and white parts of green onions. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, or until pork and vegetables are tender. Stir in green onion tops; cover and cook 3 minutes longer. Meanwhile, blend cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Stir into meat mixture; cook, stirring, 1 minutes, or until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Serve over rice.