Fresh raspberries are probably not the first berry to come to mind when making a batch of muffins, but they are a tart-sweet alternative to blueberries, and they have a softer texture that sort of melts into the batter during baking (in the best possible way). These muffins have buttermilk added, which makes for a tender crumb and a subtle tangy flavor, with finely grated lemon zest adding even more tartness.
- 150 grams sugar
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 400 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 200 grams buttermilk
- 100 grams oil
- 300 grams raspberries
- brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix the sugar, lemon zest, flour, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg.
- Add the buttermilk and oil, and mix.
- Combine the 2 mixtures.
- Add the raspberries.
- Pour the batter in paper cupcake liners placed in a muffin pan, and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, do the toothpick test to check cooking.
- Note: to make buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 cup of milk, stir and let stand for 10-15 minutes.