This beautiful roulade makes a wonderful finale for a Valentine's Day dinner, and you could use a different design for other festive occasions. To make the decorative flourish, you simply tint a bit of the cake batter with food coloring (lemon extract is added here for flavor) and then pipe it with a pastry bag onto the parchment paper that's used to line the baking sheet; chill to set while preparing the rest of the cake batter.
- 30 grams sugar
- 30 grams butter
- 1 egg white
- 40 grams flour
- red food coloring
- 6 drops lemon flavoring
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams flour
- raspberry jam (to fill)
- With an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add egg white and flour and mix until incorporated.
- Add the food coloring and lemon flavoring.
- Place mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a small tip.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, pipe decorative shapes or drawings.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- For the cake, whisk eggs and sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Gently fold sifted flour into egg mixture, without whisking.
- Carefully lift parchment paper to remove decorative shapes.
- Pour batter over decorative shapes and bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and invert cake onto a silicone mat and carefully remove parchment paper.
- Flip cake so that decorated side faces down.
- Spread an even layer of raspberry jam over cake and roll into a tight cylinder, while still warm.
- Place on serving dish with seam side down.
- Let cool completely before serving.