Raspberry Jelly RollHoje para Jantar
This beautiful roulade makes a wonderful finale for a Valentine's Day dinner, and you could use a different design for other festive occasions. To make the decorative flourish, you simply tint a bit of the cake batter with food coloring (lemon extract is added here for flavor) and then pipe it with a pastry bag onto the parchment paper that's used to line the baking sheet; chill to set while preparing the rest of the cake batter.
- 30 grams sugar
- 30 grams butter
- 1 egg whites
- 40 grams flour
- red food coloring
- 6 drops lemon extract
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams flour
- raspberry jam (to fill)
- 1With an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until fluffy.
- 2Add egg white and flour and mix until incorporated.
- 3Add the food coloring and lemon flavoring.
- 4Place mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a small tip.
- 5On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, pipe decorative shapes or drawings.
- 6Refrigerate until ready to use. Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- 7For the cake, whisk eggs and sugar until creamy and smooth.
- 8Gently fold sifted flour into egg mixture, without whisking.
- 9Carefully lift parchment paper to remove decorative shapes.
- 10Pour batter over decorative shapes and bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
- 11Let cool slightly and invert cake onto a silicone mat and carefully remove parchment paper.
- 12Flip cake so that decorated side faces down.
- 13Spread an even layer of raspberry jam over cake and roll into a tight cylinder, while still warm.
- 14Place on serving dish with seam side down.
- 15Let cool completely before serving.