- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup frozen raspberries (thawed)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 leaves gelatin (soaked in cold water, or 1 tbsp powdered gelatin)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 ounces milk chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 10 ounces almond paste
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- rainbow sprinkles (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom of a 10 inch diameter springform pan with parchment paper. Place 7 teaspoons in the freezer. Beat the egg whites and 3 tbsp water until stiff peaks form, gradually adding the vanilla extract and 2/3 of a cup of the sugar. Beat in the yolks one at a time. Sift the flour, cornstarch and baking powder together and fold into the egg mixture. Spoon into the pan and smooth out. Bake for 20-25 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for 2 hours.
- Turn the cake out of the pan and cut into 3 horizontal slices by inserting a knife into the center and rotating the cake around it. Place the bottom slice on a cake plate and place a cake ring around it.
- Purée the raspberries in a blender, and strain through a sieve. Mix with the ricotta and 1/3 cup of sugar. Squeeze out the gelatin and heat in a saucepan until dissolved, (or mix the powdered gelatin with 4 tbsp of water). Stir in 3 tbsp of the raspberry mix, then stir this into the remaining raspberry mix. Chill for 5 mins, or until it begins to set.
- Whip 1/2 cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into the raspberry mixture and chill for 1 hour. Spread 1/2 of the raspberry mix onto the first cake layer, add another layer of cake and the remaining raspberry mix. Add the final layer of cake on top.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 mins. Dip each frozen spoon into the chocolate so the bottom half is coated in a thick layer. Use a small knife to carefully loosen the chocolate from the spoons. Chill the finished spoons and repeat the process, so you have 14 chocolate spoons.
- Whip 1 cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Remove the cake ring and spread the cream over the top and sides of the cake. Knead the marzipan with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar. Dust a clean work surface with powdered sugar, roll out the marzipan to a 14 1/4 inch diameter circle. Lay over the cake and press down lightly.
- Mix 1/4 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tbsp water until it forms a thick smooth paste. Spoon into a freezer bag and cut a small hole in one corner. Pipe small dots around the edge of the cake. Chill for 30 mins.
- Whip 1/2 cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Using 2 teaspoons dipped in warm water, add small dots of cream all over the top of the cake. Add rainbow sprinkles and top with the chocolate spoons.
|Calories380Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE|