- 1 cup butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 medium eggs (separated)
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons gelatin dessert (raspberry, powder)
- 1 pound frozen mixed berries
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 13x15 inch cake pan with butter. For the batter, beat the butter, salt, vanilla extract and 1 cup sugar together using an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the egg yolks then the buttermilk. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together then stir into the butter mixture. Transfer to the cake pan and smooth the top.
- For the meringue, beat the egg whites and lemon juice until stiff and glossy while gradually beating in 3/4 cup sugar. Spread on top of the batter using a spatula. Draw the spatula across the top to make decorative peaks. Bake for 35-40 mins until risen and golden. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, for the berry layer, place 1 1/2 cups apple juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring. Mix 1/2 cup cold apple juice with the gelatin powder until smooth then stir into the hot apple juice and bring to a boil, stirring. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl. Mix in the frozen berries and set aside.
- For the cream layer, beat the whipping cream until stiff then mix in the sour cream and 1/2 cup sugar.
- To assemble, remove the cake from the pan and carefully slice in half horizontally. Spread half the cream on the bottom half of the cake then top with the berry mixture. Spread the remaining cream on top then replace the top layer of cake. Chill for at least 4 hours and slice to serve.
|Calories520Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.