- 8 cups whole milk (divided)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3 tablespoons pistachios (& Almonds, roughly chopped)
- sugar (for the syrup, to taste)
- Boil 4 cups milk in a deep non stick or stainless steel pot and boil the remaining 4 cups milk in a non-stick skillet (The milk in the pot needs to be reduced to half the quantity so once it comes to a boil, keep the flame low and keep cooking while stirring occasionally. Grind saffron with a small amount of sugar and add it to the milk while boiling).
- Once the milk in the skillet comes to a rolling boil, slowly add lemon juice.When the milk curdles (you will see that the fats start coming together, that is what makes Indian cheese and the left water will look kind of lightish green), turn off the stove and strain the cheese in a cheese cloth.Hang the cheese cloth on the tap for approx 30 minutes to remove all of the liquid.
- Remove the cheese from the cheese cloth and run it through a food processor to smooth it out or you can knead it by hands but it will take a long time to make it smooth. Divide the cheese into 10-12 equal portions.
- Roll the portions in your hands until a smooth ball is formed. Lightly press the ball until it flattens out.
- Take a pressure cooker, add 5 cups of water, 1 cup sugar and add the flattened cheese balls.Close pressure cooker lid and cook until one whistle sounds. Immediately switch off the stove and set the timer for exactly 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, carefully take the pressure cooker to the sink and pour cold water over the lid to remove the pressure. Remove the cooked cheese balls with a slotted spoon into a bowl and allow it to cool. You will notice that the balls are bigger in size.
- Meanwhile, the milk in the non-stick pan should have reduced to half. Add sugar to taste, cardamom powder and nuts. Switch off the stove and keep milk aside.
- Once the cheese balls are cool enough to handle with your hands, gently squeeze out the sugar syrup from them and place them in a serving dish.
- Add the prepared reduced milk syrup over them and chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled, garnish with additional chopped nuts.
|Calories370Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.