This dish screams fall! Roasted pumpkin is a tender and flavorful side to enjoy alongside the chicken. Tangerine zest adds a nice bold flavor to the chicken and works well with the garlic and thyme. All of these flavors come together to form a perfectly balanced cozy meal that is best enjoyed when the crisp fall air starts to set in. Serve the chicken and pumpkin on a bed of rice or your favorite grain for a filling meal.
- 1 butternut squash
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (Margao, spices, and herb seasoning, or similar)
- olive oil
- 1 chicken (range)
- 2 tangerines (organic)
- fresh thyme (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the pumpkin.
- Cut the pumkin lengthwise in 8 pieces.
- Remove seeds, and set them aside.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking tray with the cut side up.
- Season with salt, pepper, and half of the herbs.
- Cover the tray with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes.
- Pour some olive oil in a pan.
- Cut the chicken into pieces, and place it in the baking tray , with the skin side down.
- Season with the remaining spices, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the chicken skin with tangerine zest.
- Spread the tangerine wedges on top of the chicken, and sprinkle with the thyme leaves.
- Bake, beside the pumpkin, also covered with a sheet of aluminum foil, for 45 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking, turn the chicken pieces so that skin is turned upwards, and finish baking uncovered.
- Baste occasionally.
- Serve with white rice, and roasted pumpkin.
PER SERVING *
|Calories380Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.