Cooked slowly, this recipe for Rabbit Stew with Grapes and Olives has a delicious balance of sweet and savory flavors. Seasoned with green onions and sage leaves, the white wine broth for this savory rabbit stew pairs wonderfully with the saltiness of green onions and the sweet tartness of white grapes. Be sure to use pitted olives and seedless grapes. This stew takes a while to cook, but it is not at all labor intensive, making it a wonderful wintertime stew that you can make on a weeknight.
- 1 rabbit (cut into small pieces)
- 100 grams green olives
- 2 cups grapes (white seedless)
- 1 green onion
- 1 bunch sage leaves
- 5 ounces white wine
- 300 milliliters vegetable broth
- extra-virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper
- Heat 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large, heavy bottom saucepan and brown the rabbit pieces well.
- Add the finely chopped green onion and the whole sage leaves.
- Season with salt and saute for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and the green olives and cook for approximately 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding broth as needed.
- Add the grapes after approximately 45 minutes.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and add some black pepper.
- Serve hot.