- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups leeks (thinly sliced, white and green parts)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 carrot (large, peeled, diced medium)
- 1 parsnip (large, peeled, diced medium)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes (diced medium)
- 1 cup quinoa (dry)
- 15 ounces white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 bunch kale (about a pound, rough stems removed, torn into bite sized pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed (crushed, see crushing fennel tip)
- 1 teaspoon dried majoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- black pepper (fresh, to taste)
|Calories270Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Miranda 30 Oct 2018
Loved this will make again. I added onion to it.
sylvia s. 13 Jan 2016
This is about the 3rd time making it - great on cold, winter days. I change up the spices a bit, nothing drastic - like adding a little dill seed and have balsamic v or lemon juice to add individually. Very filling and great for a calorie restricted diet.
Nancy R. 19 Oct 2015
This is an incredibly flavorful and filling soup! Unfortunately as I was starting the preparations, I realized I was out of quinoa! That never happens!! But I had wild rice on hand and so I used 1 cup of that in place of the quinoa. I also added mushrooms (mainly because I don't use any oils in cooking and mushrooms release enough liquid while "dry sauteing" to cook the leeks, garlic, carrots and mushrooms). I also used fresh fennel instead of the seeds, as I love that flavor. My husband and I loved this soup and I'll enjoy making it again soon -- with the quinoa next time! Thanks for the recipe.