- 1 onion (medium, finely chopped, 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery (ribs, finely chopped, 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic (minced, 2 tsp.)
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach (pkg., thawed and squeezed dry)
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (cans, drained, liquid reserved)
- 15 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 3 large carrots (grated, 11/2 cups)
- 5 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese (grated reduced-fat, divided)
- 4 red bell peppers (large, halved lengthwise, ribs removed)
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in spinach and drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
- Fill each bell pepper half with heaping 3/4-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 Tbs. remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and drizzle each with pan juices before serving.
|Calories560Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.