An often misshapen fruit, the magic of the quince's delicious flavor is released when it is cooked. This recipe for Quince Pie capitalizes on the delicate deliciousness of this often overlooked fruit. Made with a mixture of wheat and rice flours, the crust for this quince pie is completely dairy free and vegan friendly. Filled with a delicious quince compote filling, this Quince Pie is one for the baking repertoire. A touch of nutmeg flavor makes this a great autumn bake.
- 200 grams flour (Khorasan)
- 100 grams rice flour
- 140 grams raw sugar
- 80 milliliters vegetable oil
- 40 milliliters soy milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- grated lemon peel
- 900 grams quince
- lemon juice
- 500 grams raw sugar
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ground nutmeg
- The first step is to prepare the soy milk and oil emulsion, or vegan mayonnaise, by pouring the milk in a deep bowl and gradually adding the oil, while blending with the immersion blender.
- Continue pouring the oil gradually while blending at the same time until the cream begins to thicken.
- Add the lemon juice, and it will thicken even more, then refrigerate the mayonnaise.
- The next step is to prepare the pie crust, by combining the two types of flour with the sugar, a pinch of salt, and the grated lemon peel.
- Add the vegan mayonnaise and knead quickly until the dough is soft and uniform in consistency.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other, and roll out the larger piece with a rolling pin.
- Line an 18 centimeter springform pan with the pie crust and make some holes in the bottom with a fork.
- Add the quince compote filling prepared previously.
- Crumble the small piece of dough just as you would for a crumble and cover the entire surface of the pie.
- Bake the pie at 180C for approximately 35 to 45 minutes, until golden.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1250Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.