Quince is one of the few fruits of our gardens that is not consumed raw. These fruits are often bruised, oddly shaped and spotted, but their delicate flavor is found in cooking them. The delicate flavor of quince goes hand in hand with the fall season. Made with a rich quince compote, these Quince Crumble Bars feature the deep flavor of marsala wine and are lent their sweetness through the addition of raw sugar. Topped with a crumble topping, these Quince Crumble Bars will have you welcoming the beginning of fall.
- 900 grams quince
- lemon juice
- 500 grams raw sugar
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ground nutmeg
- 175 grams salted butter
- 250 grams flour
- 90 grams granulated sugar
- 250 grams compote (quince)
- 1 tablespoon marsala wine
- ground cinnamon
- To prepare the quince compote, wash and dry the quince, peel it, and eliminate the core and seeds. Cut it into wedges and and place it in a deep saucepan. Add the juice of 1 lemon, so it does not turn brown. Add a cup of water and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the quince and put it through a food mill or blend it with a blender in order to obtain a puree.
- Place the quince puree back into the saucepan and add the sugar, heat and slowly bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place the mixture in a baking dish approximately 2 centimeters deep and level the surface with a spatula.
- Let the mixture rest for 3 days in a cool, dry place.
- Cut the compote into squares with a wet knife. Sprinkle with sugar and store in a metal canister.
- To prepare the quince crumble bars, line a baking dish measuring 18 x 18 centimeters with wax paper.
- Combine the flour with the sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, and the Marsala.
- Add the butter, chilled and cut into pieces, and work with the tips of your fingers until the mixture resembles oatmeal.
- Place 3/4 of the crumble mixture in the baking dish and press well.
- Spread the quince compote over the mixture and top with the remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake at 180C for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove the crumble from the oven, let it cool completely and cut it into bars.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1320Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.