Quick Italian Easter Colomba CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Topped with almond icing, pearl sugar and almond slivers, this classic Italian Easter cake is dotted with candied orange peel. Its batter, which is made with flour and potato starch is flavored with Strega, vanilla and lemon juice. While it is typically prepared for the spring holiday, there's no reason you can't indulge throughout the year. For authenticity's sake, you'll need to invest in a dove-shaped colomba pan.
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 150 grams potato starch
- 200 grams butter
- 150 grams sugar
- 4 eggs
- 50 grams liqueur (Strega, may substitute Chartreuse)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- candied orange peel (chopped finely)
- 100 grams almond flour
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- 1 eggs
- sugar (grains)
- almonds (slices)
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 2Sift together the flour and the potato starch and combine with the butter.
- 3Add the sugar, eggs, liqueur, lemon juice, vanilla extract, baking powder, a pinch of salt, and candied orange peel, and knead thoroughly.
- 4Place the dough in a special colomba cake mold and bake it for approximately 50 minutes.
- 5In the meantime, prepare the icing by combining the almond flour, powdered sugar, and egg with a few drops of water.
- 6After approximately 40 minutes, add the icing to the top of the cake. Sprinkle the cake with sugar grains and almond slices.
- 7Finish baking the cake and then remove it from the oven.
- 8Let the cake cool completely and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1230Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.