- 5 pounds kirby cucumbers (firm, about 20 washed)
- 1 1/2 cups coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices (mixed)
- 5 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Place cucumbers in a large non-reactive container. Combine 1/2 gallon of water with 1 cup salt, and stir until salt is dissolved. Pour over cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and rinse the cucumbers, discarding brine. Pack into 4 to 5 wide-mouthed quart jars. Divide pickling spices, garlic, and dill between the jars.
- Combine 6-1/4 cups water, remaining 1/2 cup salt, vinegar, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and pour into packed jars. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 months.