You better believe this is one quick cake, taking only minutes to mix up the batter, which calls for the most basic of ingredients, all of which you should have a steady supply of: sugar, butter, flour, eggs, baking powder, and salt. That's it. But it's what you do with those staples that make all the difference, most importantly the caramel that's created by cooking sugar in water until amber, swirling pan to color evenly.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Beat together the butter and sugar for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and beat well.
- In a saucepan, combine 100 grams sugar and a tablespoon of water.
- Heat mixture until syrup is golden brown.
- Immediately add milk to make a creamy caramel.
- Allow the caramel to cool down and add to the batter, plus the flour and the beaten egg whites.
- Place the preparation in a greased form and take to the oven at 400ºF for 20 minutes.