You better believe this is one quick cake, taking only minutes to mix up the batter, which calls for the most basic of ingredients, all of which you should have a steady supply of: sugar, butter, flour, eggs, baking powder, and salt. That's it. But it's what you do with those staples that make all the difference, most importantly the caramel that's created by cooking sugar in water until amber, swirling pan to color evenly.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Beat together the butter and sugar for 10 minutes.
- 2Add the egg yolks and beat well.
- 3In a saucepan, combine 100 grams sugar and a tablespoon of water.
- 4Heat mixture until syrup is golden brown.
- 5Immediately add milk to make a creamy caramel.
- 6Allow the caramel to cool down and add to the batter, plus the flour and the beaten egg whites.
- 7Place the preparation in a greased form and take to the oven at 400ºF for 20 minutes.