Pumpkin cake is a quinessential fall dessert. This version varies a little from the traditional cake featuring warming spices. Instead, the cake is studded with walnuts and coconut for a surprising take on the classic. By using fresh pumpkin, you ensure the flavor is bold and vibrant. A dusting of powdered sugar adds an extra bit of sweetness and a beautiful finish. If you want to make it even more decadent, a spoonful of whipped cream is a great addition.
- 350 milliliters pumpkin puree
- 7 tablespoons water
- 250 grams sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 eggs
- 75 grams coconut (grated)
- 150 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (cake)
- 75 grams walnuts (shelled)
- powdered sugar
- Peel the pumpkin, and boil it in water until it softens. Drain and mash it. Pass through a fine strainer, or strain with a lint-free cloth.
- In a saucepan, heat 7 tablespoons of water and sugar, and boil to the firm ball stage.
- Add the well-drained pumpkin puree, and stir well. Add the cinnamon stick.
- Simmer some more, over low heat, until it begins it reaches the thread stage, like a compote.
- Beware of splashes during this procedure.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, add the egg yolks, and mix with the pumpkin jelly. Stir in the coconut, flour, and baking powder. Mix well. Add the walnuts and mix.
- Beat he egg whites to stiff peaks with a pinch of salt, and carefully add it to the cake dough, without stirring.
- Grease a round cake pan with butter, and line with the bottom with parchment paper. Sprinkle with flour.
- Bake the cake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Unmold, let cool, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories680Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.