Pumpkin Orange FrittersO Meu Tempero
Dreamy, indeed: First you boil pumpkin with orange zest until very tender, then drain well and puree the pumpkin and zest. That is your flavor base, and it's then combined with eggs, sugar, flour, and baking powder to make a rich, thick batter that's then dropped by spoonfuls into hot oil and deep fried until delightfully browned all over. Drain these treats ever so briefly before dusting them with cinnamon sugar and serving.
- 350 grams pumpkin (peeled)
- 100 grams orange zest
- 100 grams sugar
- 5 eggs
- 300 grams flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- oil (for frying)
- sugar (for sprinkling)
- cinnamon (for sprinkling)
- 1Cook pumpkin in boiling water with orange zest and a pinch of salt, until tender.
- 2Drain pumpkin well.
- 3In the food processor, blend pumpkin and orange zest until pureed.
- 4Place puree in a bowl and mix with sugar and egg yolks.
- 5Add the sifted flour and baking powder and whisk again.
- 6Separately, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 7Fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture.
- 8Heat oil in a fryer or deep, heavy skillet.
- 9Add batter by spoonfuls and cook fritters in hot oil until crispy and golden on both sides.
- 10Drain cooked fritters on paper towels and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while hot.