Combining the classic fall flavors of maple and pumpkin, this pie is topped with roasted pistachios for an added smoky flavor. The pie crust is lightly flavored with orange zest for a contrasting tartness in the pastry.
- 1 1/3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 85 grams unsalted butter (diced, at room temperature)
- 50 milliliters ice water (depending on the strength of the dough)
- 1 orange zest
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup double cream (fresh)
- 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- roasted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup flour and salt. Add the orange zest.
- Stir butter in the flour to get a grainy texture.
- Add water gradually. Mix well to moisten the entire mixture.
- Add water as needed, a spoonful at a time. The mixture should hold.
- Form a ball of dough.
- Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Place the dough in a pie pan and prick with a fork. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the cream and maple syrup together.
- In another bowl, beat the egg, add 1/3 cup flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple mixture, and pumpkin puree.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust. Brush egg white on the edges of the dough and sprinkle with a little sugar. Arrange a handful of roasted pistachios on top.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator one hour before serving.
|Calories860Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.