A minimalist cake with a delicious autumn inspired filling, this cake is a must bake. Two layers of light fluffy cake are separated by a smooth filling that has a slight crunch due to the chopped walnuts. Make your own pumpkin jam for the filling or purchase it at your favorite market or store. If you are not a fan of pumpkin, you can substitute your favorite jam or curd instead.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 200 grams margarine (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup tea (milk)
- 1 jar jam (homemade pumpkin, or jam of choice)
- 1 cup walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a round cake pan with margarine and flour. Set aside.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder.
- Beat the margarine with the sugar until it becomes a soft cream.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the sugar mixture, and beat well between each addition.
- Alternating, add the flour and the milk.
- Bake for about 50 minutes. Do the toothpick test, remove from oven, wait about 10 minutes, and remove from the mold.
- Let cool, and with the appropriate utensil for cutting cakes, or with a wet serrated knife, cut the cake in half horizontally.
- Remove the top, and cover the bottom with the pumpkin jam (or any other flavor).
- Spread the nuts over the jam. Cover the cake again with the top, pressing lightly to glue the filling, but be careful not to crack the cake.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1360Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.