You do not have to spend a ton of money to have a five star dinner. Try this recipe for Pumpkin Flan with Blue Cheese Sauce. This rich and flavorful appetizer combines a hearty meal on a budget. Be sure to plan ahead, because these decadent hand held treats need to be refrigerated for at least an hour before serving. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this dish as much as we do.
- small potatoes
- 8 ounces pumpkin (peeled)
- 40 grams Emmenthal (grated)
- 250 milliliters milk
- cream (A splash of)
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams blue cheese
- 100 milliliters evaporated milk
- For the flan, peel potato.
- Cut potato and pumpkin into cubes.
- Boil potato and pumpkin in milk for about 20 minutes until knife-tender.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (approximately 425°F).
- Drain the pumpkin and potato, reserving the milk, and mash with a fork.
- Add the cheese and stir well.
- Beat the eggs, gradually adding cream, then pour mixture over pumpkin puree.
- Season to taste with a pinch of nutmeg.
- If mixture is too thick, stir in reserved milk as needed.
- Grease flan cups with butter.
- Pour mixture into prepared cups and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from mold while warm.
- For the sauce, heat blue cheese and evaporated milk in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sauce is smooth.
- Season to taste with freshly ground pepper.
- Pour the warm cheese sauce over the flan. Serve immediately.