This recipe is convenient for entertaining as most of the preparation can be done up to 5 days in advance. It is recommended that the Pulled Pork be prepared at least 1 day in advance.
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder (well trimmed of visible fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 1/3 cups apple juice
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon chipotles in adobo (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (thinly sliced into rings)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 hass avocado (ripe, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 16 dinner rolls (small, sliced in half)
- 16 slices gouda (thin sliced, cut to fit rolls)
- Up to 5 days before serving, combine paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle some of the seasoning on the pork roast. Keep pork roast covered and refrigerated until cook time.
- Heat oil in a 2-quart pot with tightly covered lid over medium-high heat. Place pork roast in pan. Cook pork roast for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Turn and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until browned; remove from pan. Add onion and garlic to pan, stir and cook until golden brown. Stir in apple juice and remaining seasonings. Return pork roast to pan. Bring liquid to a boil; then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover tightly and simmer over low or medium-low heat for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. The meat should be very tender. Remove pork roast from pan and let rest for 5-10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Pour pan juices into a bowl; cover and refrigerate. Shred pork roast, removing small amounts of fat as needed; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- On the day the sliders are to be served, remove pan juices from refrigerator and skim off fat. Pour into small pot; bring to a boil. Stir in barbecue sauce and chipotle peppers. Mix in shredded pork meat and heat through. Keep warm until sliders are assembled.
- For sliders, in a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir, cooking for 6 minutes. Mix in vinegar and salt. Cook and stir an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan. Cut each avocado slice in half and toss with lemon juice.
- To prepare sliders, top the bottom half of a roll with 1 heaping tablespoon of Pulled Pork, a slice of cheese, several cooked onions and four half slices of avocado. Add the roll top. Repeat process with all sliders.
PER SERVING *
|Calories610Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.