- 1 pork shoulder boston butt (boneless, about 3 pounds, excess fat removed)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 onion (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 serrano pepper (thinly sliced, seeds discarded if you don't like it spicy)
- kosher salt
- 2 cups mango (puree)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- brioche rolls (split)
- Rub: Combine the rub ingredients, in a small bowl and massage it into the pork shoulder until well coated. Set aside while you make BBQ sauce. You could do this a day ahead and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- BBQ sauce: In a large saucepan, warm the oil, over low heat, until hot and shimmering. Add the cumin and fennel; they should splutter upon contact - be careful! Once the spluttering subsides, add the onions, ginger and serrano and a little salt, to taste. Saute until they soften but don't let them get any color. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Simmer about 5 minutes. Taste and season.
- Add the pork shoulder to the saucepan, coating it with the sauce. Cover, and gently simmer until the pork falls apart easily, stirring and turning often, about 3 hours.
- Remove the pork from the saucepan and shred it using 2 forks. Return it to the sauce and stir to coat with the sauce. Put a generous spoonful of the pork inside a brioche bun, top with a few slices of pickle and serve. Aarti's Note: prepare to have your loved one swoon over you!
PER SERVING *
|Calories400Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.