Uses KitchenAid® Stand Mixer.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 5 lb. whole bone-in pork butt (or boneless pork butt)
- 3/4 cup sweet onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine brown sugar, paprika, salt, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic in small bowl. Rub into all sides of pork. Let sit 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven (with tight fitting lid) over medium-high heat. Add rubbed pork to pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total. This step can also be done on a gas or charcoal grill. Add onion and cook, stirring up browned bits until onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Pour in stock, cover and transfer to oven. Cook until pork is beginning to become tender, 2 ½ to 3 hours. Remove lid and continue to roast about another 1 to 2 hours until crispy on the outside and very tender when tested with a fork. Remove from oven and let cool 20 minutes. Reserve pan juices.
- Attach flat beater to KitchenAid® Artisan® Stand Mixer. Cut pork into 3 to 4 large chunks and transfer to mixer bowl. Turn to Stir speed until pork is shredded to desired consistency. Return to pan and toss with juices. Reheat and serve with your favorite BBQ sauce if desired.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories550Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes