Pulla is a Finnish sweet roll or dessert bread spiced with cardamom. Make your own Finnish Sweet Bread to share with friends and family around the holidays with this recipe for Pulla. Start a pre-ferment at least 3 hours before making the rest of the dough. As this is a yeasted dough, it will need time to rise at the various stages of the preparation process. You can make your Pulla into individual rolls or into one plaited loaf.
- 480 grams flour
- 150 milliliters whole milk
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 eggs
- 15 grams yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 1 eggs (beaten)
- Preheat the oven to 210 Celsius.
- Combine 100 ml. milk and 100 gr. flour in a bowl. Add 3 gr. yeast and mix together with a fork. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place to rise, approximately 3 hours.
- Add the rest of the flour, milk, and yeast along with the salt, egg, sugar, and cardamom. Knead until smooth and elastic. Add the butter, little by little until well incorporated. Form into a ball and place into a buttered bowl, covered with plastic wrap, until doubled in volume.
- Form the dough into individual balls or a braided loaf. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise again.
- Brush the surface with the egg and bake for 10-15 minutes, until it begins to brown. Lower the temperature of the oven slightly and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories300Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.