Puffy Omelet with Canadian Bacon FillingPork
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon (cut into thin strips)
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded, 1 ounce)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 white pepper (teasp)
- 5 teaspoons butter (or margarine)
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 large tomato (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored; stir in Canadian-style bacon, cheese, half of the basil, and pepper. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites.
- 2In a 10-inch skillet with oven-proof handle, heat 2 teaspoons of the butter over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles. Spoon egg mixture into skillet, gently smoothing surface. Reduce heat to low; cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the bottom is golden.
- 3Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10-12 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean.
- 4Meanwhile, in skillet cook mushrooms and green pepper in the remaining hot butter over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Add the remaining basil and tomato; cook 5 minutes or till liquid is reduced, stirring occasionally.
- 5Loosen sides of omelet with spatula. Make a shallow cut across omelet, cutting slightly off-center. Spoon filling over larger half. Tip skillet and fold the smaller portion of omelet over larger half. Slip omelet onto a warm serving platter. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories370Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.