Choux pastry may seem like a daunting task when you first approach it, but once you have it down the possibilities are endless. In this recipe, the choux pastry is made into small puffs which are filled. A airy whipped cream is dalloped in the middle of the bite-sized puffs then topped with fresh raspberries. A dusting of powdered sugar finishes the puffs with a delicate and refined look.
- 250 milliliters water
- 20 grams granulated sugar
- 100 grams butter (cut into pieces)
- 130 grams all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 yolk
- heavy cream (25 cl., well chilled)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (more for decoration)
- 250 grams raspberries
- In a saucepan, boil water with salt, sugar and butter. Take the saucepan off the heat and add the flour all at once. Stir briskly with a spatula. Put back on low-to-medium heat to dry the dough. Stir constantly with a spatula for 3 minutes. Once the dough dries, remove it from the heat and pour it into a bowl. Add 4 eggs one at a time, stirring well between each one, always using the spatula.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a pastry bag (if you do not have one, use two tablespoons, or take a freezer bag and cut off a corner from it with a pair of scissors: you have an occasional pastry bag !), form dough balls the size of a small egg on the baking sheet, making sure to space out the choux.
- Mix the egg yolk with a teaspoon of water. Brush this mixture on the puffs.
- Bake the puffs for about 20 to 25 minutes. After 8 minutes, open the oven door slightly and keep baking with door ajar until the end. Once cooked and browned, remove the baking sheet from the oven and place the puffs on a grid "gently". Allow to cool.
- Mount the whipped cream with an electric mixer, starting at slow speed and gradually increasing it. Once the whipped cream is steady, add the powdered sugar and beat again to incorporate it for a few seconds and then stop. Cut the puffs in half. Fill with whipped cream, add some raspberries, and replace the cap.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories480Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.