This “recipe” makes excellent use of any extra puff pastry you may have left over from making strudel or other sweet treats—and is a perfect solution for a last-minute snack or dessert. Simply brush the pastry sheet with beaten egg yolk, sprinkle generously with sugar, cut into strips, score the tops, and bake until puffed up and golden, rotating the baking sheet as needed to color evenly. Serve warm, preferably with a mug of hot chocolate topped with whipped cream.
- 1 sheet pastry dough (puff)
- egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Roll out a sheet of puff pastry dough.
- Brush the dough with a mixture of lightly beaten egg yolk and a generous amount of sugar.
- Cut the dough into many strips approximately 7 to 8 centimeters long and 2 centimeters wide and place the strips on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- Make criss-cross diagonal incisions on the strips of dough with a knife.
- Bake for approximately 15 to 18 minutes or until completely golden.
- Remove the treats from the oven and serve.