Puff Pastry - For 600 Grams of DoughOn dine chez Nanou
Sometimes part of the fun of cooking, is making everything from scratch. This recipe for Puff Pastry can be used in a variety of ways in many different desserts and dishes. Puff pastry has been used in sweet desserts and savory main dishes. This puff pastry is rich and buttery. It is perfect for any recipe you want to use it in. So if you want to tell your friends the next time you bring a decadent dish to the party that you make it entirely from scratch, then this recipe is the base for that conversation. Now you have to decide if you want to use it for something sweet, or something savory.
- 125 grams water
- 5 grams salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 250 grams butter (cold)
- 200 grams all-purpose flour
- 1In a bowl, add water, salt, and vinegar. Stir until the vinegar dissolves.
- 2In a another bowl, add the flour and make a well in the middle.
- 3In the well, add the butter (cut into small pieces) and the vinegar mixture.
- 4Quickly mix the ingredients with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal with a few large pieces of butter still intact.
- 5Shape a ball with the dough. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- 6Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until the dough is firm.
- 7On a floured work surface, roll out the dough and form a 50 x 20 centimeter rectangle.
- 8Fold it in 3. This is the first turn.
- 9Rotate the dough 90 degrees and roll out again in rectangle.
- 10Fold it in 3. This is the second turn.
- 11Rotate the dough 90 degrees and roll out again in rectangle.
- 12Fold it in 3. The is the third turn.
- 13Place the dough on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- 14Remove the dough from refrigerator, wait 5 minutes and roll out on a floured surface into rectangle.
- 15Fold it in 3. This is fourth turn.
- 16Repeat this process until you have done 8 turns.
- 17Rolling out the dough heats it up, and the progressive turns make the pieces of butter progressively disappear into the dough and it becomes more flexible.
- 18You can store the dough in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or freeze it.