Garlic, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, and white wine lend Provencal flavors to this simple-yet-delicious skillet supper. The chicken is rubbed with a garlicky mixture before being sauteed until golden brown, then it is cooked gently with tomatoes and onion until tender throughout. The sauce, cooked in the same pan, features sliced mushrooms cooked with flour, chicken broth, and wine until thickened. Round out the meal with mashed potatoes and a salad, if desired.
- 1 chicken (field)
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (beef heart, seeded, peeled, and chopped)
- 200 grams fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 125 milliliters chicken broth
- 150 milliliters dry white wine
- Cut the chicken in pieces.
- Crush the garlic cloves and mix with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Rub this mixture on the chicken.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and saute the chicken on medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn it occasionally to cook on both sides.
- Add the onion and tomatoes, cover the pan and cook on low heat for 35 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and saute on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken broth and wine, stirring constantly. Let boil and cook for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Pour this sauce on top of the chicken.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes and salad.