- 3 pounds New York (top loin) pork roast
- 2 tablespoons butter (OR olive oil)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms (OR button mushrooms, chopped)
- 1/4 cup onion (OR shallots, finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 cup croutons (plain, coarsely crushed)
- 3 ounces prosciutto (chopped)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar (plus 1 tablespoon)
- For stuffing, in a large skillet melt butter. Add mushrooms, onion, and thyme; cook until onion is tender. Remove from heat; stir in crushed croutons, prosciutto, cheese, and the 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Season with pepper. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining balsamic vinegar to boiling. Boil, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 6 minutes; remove from heat.
- Prepare medium-hot banked fire in covered grill or preheat gas to medium-high. Lightly oil grill grate.
- To butterfly the pork loin, place fat-side down. Make a single lengthwise cut down the center of the pork, cutting to within 1/2 inch of the bottom side. Spread open. Make another lengthwise slit to the right of the first cut and a third slit to the left. Cover pork with clear plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to even thickness, about 3/4 inch. Remove plastic wrap.
- Spread stuffing onto pork, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Starting from a long side, roll the pork and stuffing jelly-roll style. Tightly and evenly retie meat with butcher's twine or cotton kitchen string at 2-inch intervals. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill pork, fat-side up, over indirect heat, away from the fire until internal temperature on a thermometer reads between 145 degrees F. (medium rare) and 160 degrees F. (medium) – start checking the temperature at 45-50 minutes – brushing with reduced balsamic twice during last 10 minutes of grilling. Remove pork from heat; let rest about 10 minutes. To serve, remove twine and cut pork into slices, about 3/4-inch thick.
- Serves 8 to 10 servings
- To roast in lieu of grilling: Prepare and stuff pork loin as directed. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place stuffed roast, fat-side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, until internal temperature on a thermometer reads between 145 degrees F. (medium rare) and 160 degrees F. (medium), about 50-60 minutes, brushing with reduced balsamic twice during last 10 minutes of roasting. Let rest about 10 minutes and slice as directed above.
Ann Lohmann 26 Dec 2017
It was delicious. Recipe was incomplete, though. Ingredients included rosemary, yet within the directions, there was no mention of rosemary I added it when I added the thyme. The stuffing was so good