Savor the flavor of the French country side with this incredibly simple prime rib roast.
- 6 1/2 pounds prime rib roast (trimmed and tied)
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons herbs de provence
- Season the prime rib liberally on all sides with salt and black pepper.
- Line a roasting pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil and position a roasting rack inside of it.
- Transfer the prime rib fat side up to the middle of the roasting rack. Using a spoon and clean hands, pat the herbs de Provence in an even layer over the top surface of the meat. Tent the prime rib loosely with foil, and allow it to stand at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 500° F.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the middle rack of the oven.
- Roast the prime rib for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325° F. Continue roasting the prime rib for 75-100 minutes longer, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 120-125° F.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven.
- Allow the prime rib to rest on the rack for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the prime rib to a cutting board. Carve and serve immediately.