- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (smashed with the flat part of a knife)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inch)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice (strained)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (strained)
|Calories380Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Desiree Michaels 28 May 2016
It could have been my broiler (I think my oven temperature tends to be off) but it was great other than taking longer than stated to broil.
Kat V. 9 Apr 2016
Amazing recipe!! TRY IT YOU WONT REGRET IT. I've cooked this soooo many times for family and friends! I use my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker and it does wonders on these carnitas and it's so easy!! I have made this without modifications and it's so wonderful. Sometimes though I don't have a cinnamon stick so I'll use a scant teaspoon of cinnamon powder and if I'm out of orange juice I'll just use water and it works out just fine. I usually make this with homemade guac and fresh salsa (using canned tomatoes - so quick and easy!) and these carnitas would not be complete unless you make this amazing creamy cilantro dressing (or green sauce - recipe from "once upon a chef" check it out it will change your life). Also heat up some canned black beans and Mexican rice made in a rice cooker. I do this all while the pork is in the pressure cooker. Quick delicious meal! With leftovers I make carnitas tostadas or even carnitas nachos!