This recipe for Prawn Quiche with Coconut Milk is inspired by the Brazilian dish Camarão na Moranga in which a creamy seafood stew is served in a hollowed out pumpkin. With instructions for making your own flaky crust, this prawn quiche makes a grea…
addition to a brunch with friends or can be served at any meal throughout the day. Filled with large prawns, leeks, spring onions, and fresh coriander, the cheesy and creamy filling makes this quiche a savory treat.
- 250 grams flour
- 125 grams butter (soft, cut into pieces)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 40 milliliters cold water
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 leek (white part only, cut in rings)
- 3 spring onions (cut in rings)
- 200 grams prawns (large, peeled)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 200 milliliters coconut milk
- 5 eggs
- 50 grams havarti cheese
- black pepper
- olive oil
- To prepare with a food mixer, place all the ingredients into the mixer, except the water, and blend. (Use cold butter.)
- With the machine still operating, add the water, a little at a time, until it forms a dough ball.
- Cover with plastic film wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To prepare by hand, place all the ingredients in a bowl, except the water, and rub together using the fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water, a little at a time, until it forms a dough ball. The dough should not stick to the hands, if so, add a little more flour, and knead again.
- Preheat the oven to 180–190C.
- Place the prawns into a bowl and add the lemon juice.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and gently cook the spring onions and leeks until soft.
- Drain the prawns and add to the pan. Stir and leave to cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the coriander, coconut milk, and tomato puree, and stir well.
- Season with salt and black pepper and leave to simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry onto a floured work surface until quite thin.
- Grease a cake tin or quiche dish with butter and line with the pastry.
- Leftover pastry can be frozen and used on another occasion.
- Prick the pastry with a fork several times, cover with parchment paper, and add some chickpeas or baking beans so as to prevent the pastry from rising during cooking.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Beat the eggs and add the prawn mixture and grated cheese. Season to taste.
- Fill the quiche dish with the mixture and bake for 20 minutes or until set and golden brown.
|Calories830Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat500|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.